Established in 1997, Sustainable Energy First uses its expertise and market leading software platforms to help customers minimise the complexity and costs of their energy and utility requirements and to reduce emissions, therefore improving sustainability. The company offers high value-add specialist energy and sustainability services to its clients in a diverse range of sectors and is focussed on supporting British business to achieve a positive climate impact.
Sustainable Energy First’s approach is different to anyone else in the traditional ‘TPI’ (Third Party Intermediary) market by sharing in the decarbonisation targets of its clients. Our Directors have over 100 years’ experience in the energy industry; each bringing a proven track record to the team. The company is powered by over 150 sustainability change makers who are empowered to make a positive difference for themselves, our clients and the planet.
- Regular updating of the company’s forecast model, identifying and implementing improvements to make the process, or the model itself, more efficient and robust.
- Working with key stakeholders around the business to identify additional reporting / KPIs that would be of benefit to the company, and implementing through the appropriate software solution.
- Production of statutory accounts for the different legal entities within the group, ensuring that they incorporate all current requirements of UK GAAP, plus ensuring that the role holder’s technical knowledge is kept up to date for any changes such that these are incorporated when appropriate.
- Responsibility for compliance with all relevant taxes that the company is subject to, including corporation tax and payroll taxes (currently outsourced to an external provider), VAT and P11Ds (handled internally).
- Overall responsibility for the year end external audit, including liaison with the auditors to agree a timetable for each stage of the audit process, overseeing the planning and field work stages and ensuring that the audit is completed and statutory accounts fully signed in line with the required deadline.
- Ensure the company’s cash is managed effectively ensuring that key supplier relationships are maintained and that returns on cash balances are maximised without jeopardising the company’s ability to meet all its liabilities when they fall due.
- Provide cover for the monthly payroll process, including the handling of standard payroll amendments, monthly and quarterly bonuses, monthly sales commissions and any other adjustments required, to ensure that all employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner.
- Make proactive recommendations wherever appropriate to improve systems and controls or make cost savings/improve efficiency.
- Contribute towards the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the Finance team by assisting in the completion of other departmental tasks, ad-hoc projects or information requests as and when required.
Our ideal candidate
Essential experience required:
- Sound up to date technical accountancy knowledge and experience of compiling statutory accounts.
- Fully qualified through a recognised accountancy body (i.e. ACA, ACCA or CIMA).
- Strong Excel skills and a passion for working with and analysing data to provide insightful management information.
Preferred experience required:
- Experience of working in the energy sector, or with reporting packages / tools (e.g. Power BI), would be beneficial but not essential.
Key personal attributes:
- Attention to detail.
- Being prepared to challenge the status quo and develop innovative solutions to challenges.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines. Strong communication skills and confidence to liaise with board members and senior management.
- Strong team-working skills.
Looking after our team
Basic hours of work are Monday to Thursday, 9am to 5:30pm and Friday 9am to 5pm (37 hours a week). Other than the initial training period, where there will be increased requirement to work from SE First’s offices in St Annes, there is a business requirement to work in the SE First office for a minimum of 2 days per week, but the remainder of the week can be worked from home.
The nature of the role will mean there will be times some extra hours will be needed. However, these will not be dictated and the job holder will know themselves when such additional hours are needed.
Immediate benefits include:
- 25 days paid holiday per year plus bank holidays (holiday year runs from 1st January). This increases by 1 day per year for the first 5 complete years of commencement of employment, increasing entitlement to a maximum of 30 days.
- Up to 5 days flexi per year.
- Extra day’s holiday given on the job holder’s birthday if that falls on a working day.
- Private medical insurance provided for the job holder. Family can be added but this is to be paid for by the job holder.
- Simply Health subscription provided – enabling the job holder to reclaim expenses for health checks, eye tests and dental appointments for example (details on request).
Further benefits available after 3 months include:
- £175 contribution towards annual gym membership
- Access to the salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, pension scheme and electric vehicle leasing scheme
We’re an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, or belief.
To apply for the position, send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com